A new barrier at the home of the British Grand Prix promises to allow fans a better view of the track at one of Silverstone’s main action spots.Miami International Autodrome which was newly-built this year to host its first F1 race.
The barrier, designed by Geobrugg, has been homologated by the FIA and FIM, the governing bodies of car and motorbike racing. It complies with the FIA’s tests for circuit debris barriers, which must withstand being struck by a car at an angle of 20 degrees and speed of 120kph. They are also tested by firing a 780 kilogram ball from a cannon at 60kph.
Silverstone’s new barrier runs along the Wellington straight on the drivers’ left-hand side for 248 metres. F1 drivers will pass by at over 300kph before braking for Brooklands.
“With the speed of the straight and the new safety aspects of Formula 1, it was the right time to move to the Geobrugg system,” said Silverstone circuit manager Lee Howkins. “We want to make sure we’re giving the fans the best experience and the best views.”
The placement of the new barrier was overseen by Dromo Circuit Design, which was previously handled the resurfacing of Silverstone in 2019. “We decided to use this system not only because it’s FIA-approved but because it’s very easy to install and if we have to move it slightly or adjust something, we can,” said Dromo CEO Jarno Zaffelli. “It was a no-brainer.”
The barriers were widely used throughout the temporary circuit in Miami which F1 raced at for the first time this year. The track layout had to fit within a compact area surrounding the Hard Rock Stadium.
Some drivers expressed concern at the use of the barrier at one point on the circuit, the slow chicane at turn 14, where Carlos Sainz Jnr and Esteban Ocon crashed. Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer was among those who questioned whether a TecPro barrier should have been used instead.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2023 F1 season
- Haas present “modernised” livery reflecting new title sponsor
- RB18 clones? ‘Fake’ reveals? What to look for as F1 launch season starts today
- No 2023 car at Red Bull’s Friday launch but Ford rumours grow
- Haas banks on experienced line-up as it seeks another step forward in 2023
- Reports Ferrari engine has gained 30bhp are a “joke” – Vasseur